- Following QAI’s appearance at the public hearing on the National Redress Scheme for Institutional Child Sexual Abuse (Commonwealth Powers) Bill 2018 on 20/07/18, QAI made a written submission, to the Health, Communities, Disability Services and Domestic and Family Violence Prevention Committee.
- QAI has prepared a submission for the Inquiry into wage theft in Queensland, due 30/07/18.
- We are following the announcement by Queensland Government that District Court Judge Michael Forde has been appointed to conduct an inquiry into the procurement of New Generation Rollingstock trains which do not comply with disability laws
- We are working on our upcoming forum “Violence against People with disabilities in their homes” on 24/09/18. Watch this space!
- QAI director Michelle O’Flynn and solicitor Niamh Fields are presenting at the Queensland Law Society’s Criminal Law Conference on “Communicating with cognitively impaired clients in criminal matters” on 3/08/18.
- QAI will be preparing a submission on the second consultation paper on the Optional Protocol to the Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (OPCAT), due mid-September.
If you would like to comment on any of QAI’s work, please contact us on 07 3844 4200 or email@example.com
- Absent without permission – This factsheet is about what happens if a patient runs away from mental health services within Queensland.
Call to action:
- Our NDIS Serco Call Centre survey is live: Soon after posting it, QAI got just less than a thousand responses to our petition (now closed) protesting the NDIS-involvement of Serco, a multinational company that runs prisons and 11 Australian immigration detention centres, and Queensland Advocacy Inc is concerned that Serco won’t support NDIS values and principles. QAI has released a survey to gauge people’s experiences with the NDIS call centre (1800800110). Please check it out if you have called that number recently.