Inquiry into Centrelink’s Compliance Program Submission
QAI made a submission to the Senate Standing Committee on Community Affairs regarding the Inquiry into Centrelink’s Compliance Program.
Here is an excerpt of our Key Recommendations in the submission:
QAI recommends that the Government:
1. Immediately implement all recommendations of the Senate Community Affairs References Committee’s June 2017 report.
2. Provide people with disabilities, particularly those with an intellectual or cognitive disability, with appropriate support to make and progress a complaint or appeal relevant to the Scheme.
3. Immediately discontinue the flawed process of data-matching between Centrelink and the Australian Taxation Office.
4. Increase staffing levels of Centrelink and the Department of Human Services, including a quota for the employment of people with disability within this increase.
5. Pay compensation to people with disability living in rural and remote areas without access to a telephone who were forced to travel an extensive distance into Centrelink office in an attempt to resolve their issue.
You can read the full submission here.